The venue was constructed along with the 11,500-seat Palazzo dello Sport for the 1960 Summer Olympics and inaugurated in 1957. It was designed by architect Annibale Vitellozzi its reinforced thin-shell concrete dome was engineered by Pier Luigi Nervi under the direction of Engineer Giacomo Maccagno.
At its inauguration, the facility incorporates a first-aid center, four groups of dressing-rooms along with an officials dressing room, a medical sports center, a management office and a press room with 12 telephone booths, two store rooms and basement-located Heating and air-conditioning equipment. Seating could be configured for 3,500 basketball spectators and up to 5,600 for boxing or wrestling spectators.
The arena is constructed with a ribbed concrete shell dome 61m in diameter, itself constructed of 1620 prefabricated concrete pieces, braced by concrete flying buttresses. As much of the structure was prefabricated so that the dome was erected in 40 days.
Text from Wikipedia